Treachery, heartache, and loneliness led Ella Kühn to take her first drink of alcohol ten years ago. When the delusions begin, images from her past threaten to challenge her state of mind. Ironically, the very thing that haunts her, is the thing that has kept her alive—the butterfly tattoo covering the gunshot wound to her right shoulder. It’s physical and emotional reminder not only symbolizes her courage, but also signifies Stefan’s absence . . . which now spans twelve years.
It’s 1983 in the Deutsch Democratic Republic. Trust remains a fragile ally as the Communist Bloc begins to crumble. Ella’s involvement in the rising opposition and underground punk movement, puts her more at risk than any escape plan ever could. She is followed, watched and hunted . . . but by whom? An old enemy? The Secret Police? Or her new employer?
In Release, the third and final installment of the Berlin Butterfly Series, Ella battles her inner demons as she struggles to survive the ever-growing darkness in the East. Will she regain her former strength and find a way to flee to the thinning borders of Czechoslovakia and join Anton and Josef? Or will ties to her precarious past keep her bound—her only release found in the freedom of pain and guilt while embracing life without her family in East Berlin?
Leah Moyes happily lives in the sunny state of Arizona…year-round. She is the biological mother of four but claims many more. After a career in the airlines and teaching high school sciences, she has pursued her life-long dream to become an Archaeologist and currently works under the guidance and direction of amazing Archaeologists at Arizona State University. Between writing and archaeological digs, the world has become her playground.
Berlin Butterfly is her first Historical Fiction Series.
~ Amazon ~
Promises. Devotion. Deception. Betrayal.
It’s 1966 in East Berlin, Germany. The Wall is reinforced with cinder blocks, barbed wire, tank traps and second-generation guard towers to oversee what is known as the death strip. It’s function successfully claims a steady stream of victims longing for freedom and willing to risk everything to escape the destruction known as the Deutche Democratic Republic.
Ella Kühn now in her twenties, faithfully awaits the end of “spoiler alert”‘s ten-year military sentence, yearning for the moment they will finally be together.
A mysterious disappearance, startling news from the West and surprising betrayal wrench Ella’s dedicated resolve in shocking directions. Her stubborn curiosity and devotion to those she loves pushes her to pursue answers in the face of doubt, danger and even death.
In Deception, book 2 of the “Berlin Butterfly” Series, Ella’s search for light in an ever-growing darkness introduces her to new friends, perilous associations and deadly exploits. Will “spoiler alert”’s love and the belief that he will return be enough to keep Ella on the East side of the wall? Or does heartache and treachery push her to join the family and a life of freedom she longs for?
Top Ten List
- I am married to one amazing man, who influences many through teaching and coaching
- I am a mom of four, grandma to two, and Mama Moyes to many.
- I am studying to be an archaeologist, currently working with the top Mesoamerican professors at Arizona State University.
- I love to travel! This year I went to France, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland, Spain, and Italy. Some for Archaeology and some for writing!
- I have a bucket list with over three hundred items on it. Half of which were written by friends.
- I love the outdoors, especially the mountains and beach (none of which are really in Arizona) but we have lakes and hills that come close.
- I love popcorn!
- I have driven a race car, bungee jumped, ziplined, cliff jumped and parasailed.
- I coached the boys high school varsity soccer team for five years.
- I will be climbing to Mt Everest Base Camp with my family next March!
- When I touched the Berlin Wall, I cried!
To view our blog schedule and follow along with this tour visit our Official Event page