Ties That Bind
By Torie James
The Cloie Chronicles, Book One
Fate always finds a way…
For thousands of years, the Gods of Olympus and Asgard have warred, each determined to establish dominion over the Earth. Both pantheons grow weary and in a slick unprecedented move, Zeus and Odin design a plan to unite their realms.
Clotho, the youngest Greek Fate bears many burdens and secrets but none greater than the one she doesn’t even realize she carries.
Soren, a proud and ancient Viking warrior holds the power of demons and gods, but not by his own choice. More importantly, he holds the heart of the very woman who broke his own.
Dagr, grandson of Odin and heir to Asgard, desires little more than ultimate power and when offered Cloie’s hand in marriage to cement his place, eagerly agrees. But he has his own reasons for wanting the baby Fate in his grasp…and bed.
Passions collide and betrayals abound when the First Evil is unleashed on Gods and man alike. Cloie holds the key to all destruction and salvation.
Her secret will save the world…
Page Foundry: http://www.inktera.com/store/title/107a31dc-b72e-446a-828a-1959c32324db
“Smile, child. This is your wedding day.”
Cloie stared straight ahead, refusing to meet Zeus’s gaze, although she heard thick lust coloring each word. The leisurely stroke of his hand swept down her arm in proprietary fashion, lingering along the gentle swell of her right hip before he stopped.
“I’d smile were the groom of my choosing, Papa.”
Zeus’s fingers curled around the nape of her neck, holding her in place. The stinging, heat of his powers seared her flesh with lacerating pain, causing her to flinch once, then grow still. She refused to shed a tear or make a single sound. Despite the burning agony, she wouldn’t give her stepfather the satisfaction.
“I know well what your choice would be, Clotho. I’m about to make you Goddess Queen of the Norse Pantheon and you still defy me! For your idiot pet!” Zeus’s hot breath washed over her ear, his lips brushing the delicate shell. His grip on her neck tightened, the acrid stench of scorched flesh choking her.
“He’s not my pet.” She bit out, coughing.
“He is nothing! He lives because of Odin’s stupidity and your defiance! And you would be his whore!”
“Better his whore than your daughter.” Defiance flared in her voice.
Snarling, the Greek King of the Gods shook her like a rag doll, forcing her to meet his blazing cerulean eyes. “You will marry Dagr. You will act as befits the daughter of Zeus and a Queen of Asgard. If at any time, I sense Dagr’s unhappiness with this union or you, I myself will destroy Soren. If you disobey me, the same. I see defiance in your eyes, Clotho. And arrogance. I can’t kill him but I can make him wish for death. His quality of life depends on your performance and your obedience to your loving Papa.”
Always using her heart against her. His modus operandi never wavered. It worked every time. And well the Olympian knew it.
“Then best you get me to the altar, Papa.”
Each word was laced with careful respect, all rebellion gone from her in the face of his threat. She’d harmed Soren enough, she would not allow Zeus to lay one finger on the keeper of her heart. Cloie kept her face impassive when Zeus released her, swallowing hard past the knot of anguish his hands on her skin had caused. Clever God, none would see the wounds he’d inflicted with her hair down as it was. Unbound hair to attest to her innocence. Ha!
“I will marry Dagr. I will be a most worthy Queen and helpmate. I shall unite Norse and Greeks together as no other union has. I will do all of this and more.” She slid dainty fingers around his elbow while he used his powers to swing aside the silky curtains of the white tent Hera insisted she have to prepare in. “But by my own word, if you ever lay a harmful hand on Soren, it will be the last time you have such.”
“Empty threats, child. And well you know it. Just do as I tell you and there will be no need. You’ll thank me when you are ruling Asgard.”
“Don’t you mean when you are ruling?”
My Top Ten List of Fictional Book/Movie Boyfriends and Why It Didn’t Work Out
- Luke Skywalker. I sat in the movie theater in May of 1977, all of 7 years old. The moment that blue eyed, blonde haired Moisture Farmer popped on screen, I was as smitten as a kid could be. I’d have willingly corralled a stampeding rush of Bantha’s to hold his lightsaber. Things were going so well until he smuggled me into the Mos Eisley Cantina. Which leads me to Movie Boyfriend Number Two.
- Han Solo. Dashing, arrogant, reckless but hey! At least he had his own car (ship) and was employed! Things were going so well but then he took up with a bad crowd of scruffy looking Nerf Herders and I had to detach. We still see other now and then. Heard tell he went back to school and took up archaeology. Good for him!
- Edmund Dantes, the Count of Monte Cristco. Tortured, went from zero to hero. Deadly, dangerous and revenge driven, he could also dual like a boss. Thought he was the one but then I found about he was seeing Mercedes on the side and yeah. No.
- Heathcliffe. Yeah. I like broken guys. However, I couldn’t compete with the ghost of his ex. Literally.
- The Phantom of the Opera. Erik. There’s just something about a homicidal, morphine addicted genius/architect/singer/master mason/magician/blackmailer that screams “I can commit!”. What can I say? I like “fixer uppers”. But I just can’t carry a tune in a bucket and for some reason, the Opera Ghost likes ladies who can sing. Pfft.
- Lestat de Lioncourt. Until Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles came into my life, I’d always assumed vamps to be less than hot. But then I met the Brat Prince and all bets were off. The Fanged Ones could be deadly, dangerous, well dressed and absolutely yummy. However, my darling Lestat wants and needs the love of the whole world, he wasn’t into monogamy.
- Brad Pitt. Do I really need to list his exemplary and impressive skills? I thought after his separation from Jen, we could work it out but even I have to give over to Angie. She could wipe the floor with me.
- Henry Fitzroy. The lead male protagonist in a series of books d (Blood series), by Tanya Huff. It chronicles the relationship between kick ass lady investigator and her new sidekick, Henry. I don’t know what made my engine purr more, the fact that Henry was an immortal vampire or the fact that Ms. Huff made him the illegitimate son of Henry VIII, who purportedly died of consumption. (I am a huge fangirl of all things Tudor & Elizabethean). Henry, unfortunately, only has eyes and fangs for Vicki. That’s okay because the books and character led me to Number 9…
- Kyle Schmid. He played Henry in the TV series based on Tanya’s books. That man has been the cause of many 5 alarm fires in the southern regions. I have it bad for him. We’ve gone on a lot of dates. Okay, so he doesn’t know about them but Gods Bless Google Earth. And so Henry Fitzroy begat Kyle Schmid who begat Number 10…
- Alexander Lakeland. The fictional creation of my fertile mind and the hero of Timeless Night, my first book in the New Camelot series. Alex is smart, suave, chivalric and sexy. He’s modern man from the olden days of knights and magic. He has fangs, mojo and no small amount of patience when it comes to dealing with his lady love…and me. This is the one. It’s working out for us both. *grins*
I’ve loved reading since I was old enough to hold a book in my lap. While my friends were out playing, I was generally curled up nearby falling down rabbit holes, catching second stars to the right, and stepping through wardrobes into mysterious lands and countless adventures. When those stories ended, I made up my own and kept going.
This later on translated into a strong passion for writing that has helped me keep my feet on the ground and my head in the clouds.
Lover of Dr. Pepper, all things chocolate, and Duran Duran, my dreams finally became a reality with the publication of Timeless Night, with the amazing people at Breathless Press. Timeless Night begat Timeless Desire. I’m currently working on the third book in the series, Timeless Surrender. I’ve also written several short erotica tales called Fractured Fantasies on top of beginning the sequel to Ties That Bind: The Cloie Chronicles with my writing partner, Jammie Lynn.
Blog and Website: https://toriejames.wordpress.com/
Amazon Author: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B00CTBYH0M