“I’ll remember, until my dying breath.”
Tomás Carrera didn’t expect Alice Peterson to rock his world.
Growing up with a single mom and as the eldest of five siblings, Tomás has had to be responsible all his life. Now his super star soccer status has provided for his family and allowed him to let his hair down… and that’s just what he’s doing.
Signed to the Santa Ana Saints, Tomás is catching up for lost time with fast women, a fast Ducati motorcycle and a bevy of adoring fans. That is, until he loses his heart to Alice and is torn with wanting her and his independence.
Next in the series: Team Nik
Open your eyes… no, no wait. Okay, deep breath, ready… almost. I might have had a bit too much to drink last night, fine then I was pissed, but so was Tomás, I think. Actually I can’t be sure about that either because Tomás ‘Pez’ Carrera—the gorgeous goalkeeper for the Santa Ana Saints soccer team—has a lot more experience than me at having a drink or ten. And now I was lying in a room that definitely wasn’t mine; in a bed with someone next to me; and, it was time to turn and face the music. On the upside, at least I was still wearing my underwear.
God please let it be Tomás next to me—I’ll go to church every Sunday for a month, honest. Good grief, now I was attempting to bribe God… I had sunk to a whole new low. It was the hangover or at least I think I had a hangover… can you get a hangover from four or five margaritas? I wasn’t a big drinker and I had never really been absolutely shit-faced drunk so a hangover would be a first.
I consoled myself that it had been a night of firsts, but I kept one of the firsts for another time. Damn it. I took a shallow breath so I didn’t wake the person next to me. Just get it over with.
I rolled over slowly and… what the fuck?
Ten places where I go for peace and quiet
- The beach: I jog there, even if it is cold. I stay rugged up and walk along the sand looking at the ocean… good for the soul.
- The park: there’s a little tree-filled pocket in the park near my house and it is wonderful to escape into, especially with my dog. I’ve been known to hug a tree or two there 🙂
- The bath … I take reading material in and keep topping up the hot water. Two hours is the longest I’ve stayed in!
- The library. I love it … I get a buzz when I enter. I swear I can smell the books.
- I love going to bed early with a book, so relaxing.
- A cafe: if I am alone with a coffee, watching the ‘madding crowd’, it can be quite peaceful and relaxing.
- Driving: I love my car and I love to put on my own music and just escape for good think time. My mother lives about an hour away and I enjoy the drive/think time there.
- The deck: sitting on the front or back deck with a book—no TV, no music—is wonderfully relaxing.
- Bike riding: the bike paths near my home provide safe and scenic passage to just enjoy the green and blue.
- Church: when I used to work in the city, sometimes I would slip into the cathedral and sit in the back row. So awe inspiring.
Ally Adams is a journalist who lives in coastal Victoria, Australia with her husband and furry friends. She is a literature major, romance reader and writer.